< | >
Current issue Ukr. J. Phys. 2016, Vol. 61, N 9, p.800-805
Ilchishin I.P., Mykytiuk T.V.
Institute of Physics, Nat. Acad. of Sci. of Ukraine
(46, Nauky Ave., Kyiv 03680, Ukraine)
Phototuning of the Frequency of a CLC-Laser and Ways of Its Optimization
Section: Optics, Lasers, and Quantum Electronics
Original Author's Text: English
Abstract: The results of our research of the phototuning of a lasing frequency in induced cholesteric liquid crystals (CLC) by changing the concentration of photoisomer molecules of the CLC with azo- and azoxy-groups in impurities twisting the nematic and in the nematic itself at a selective irradiation are presented. When using nematics with azoxy-groups of the ZhK-654 type, in which the twisting impurities were cholesterol esters (without photoisomers), the conditions to minimize the lasing threshold and to expand the phototuning frequency range are investigated. The influence of the quality of a liquid crystal orientation on the lasing threshold and the phototuning frequency range is studied. The obtained time of the phototuning of a lasing frequency was tens of minutes due to the proximity of the absorption bands of both stereoisomers and their small size. We have decreased the phototuning time, by using a highly sensitive twisting impurity, which absorbs light at the frequency of the exciting laser. The lasing in such induced CLC is got for the first time. The record time of the tuning of the lasing wavelength (21 nm for 148 ms) is obtained under the irradiation of a laser diode with a wavelength of 532 nm. Thus, we have reduced the phototuning time by almost 3 orders in comparison with the known CLC-materials.
Key words: distributed-feedback laser, liquid-crystal laser, dye laser, photonic bandgap materials.
- I.P. Ilchishin, E.A. Tikhonov, V.G. Tishchenko, and M.T. Shpak, Tuning of the emission frequency of a dye laser with a Bragg mirror in the form of a cholesteric liquid crystal, Sov. J. Quantum. Electron. 8, 1487 (1978). https://doi.org/10.1070/QE1978v008n12ABEH011397
- I.P. Ilchishin, E.A. Tikhonov, V.G. Tishchenko, and M.T. Shpak, Generation of a tunable radiation by impurity cholesteric liquid crystals, JETP Lett. 32, 24 (1980).
- I.P. Ilchishin, E.A. Tikhonov, and M.T. Shpak, Peculiarities of the spatial distribution of the lasing of a distributed feedback laser based on cholesteric liquid crystals, Ukr. J. Phys. 33, 10 (1988).
- I.P. Ilchishin, Optimizing energy output and angular divergence of a DFB laser with cholesteric liquid crystal, Bull. of the Russ. Acad. of Sci. Phys. 60, 494 (1996).
- V.B.Vinogradov, L.A.Kutulya, Yu.A.Reznikov, V.Yu.Reshetnyak, and A.I. Khizhniak, Photoinduced charge of cholesteric Lc-pitch, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 192, 273 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1080/00268949008035640
- A.Chanishvili, G.Chilaya, G. Petriashvili, R. Barberi, R. Bartolino, G. Cipparrone, A.Mazzulla, and L.Oriol, Phototunable lasing in dye-doped cholesteric liquid crystals, Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 5353 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1636818
- I. Ilchishin, O. Yaroshchuk, S. Gryshchenko, and E. Shaydiuk, Influence of the light-induced molecular transforma-tions on the helix pitch and lasing spectra of cholesteric liquid crystals, Proc. SPIE 5507, 229 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.569823
- S. Kurihara, Y. Hatae, T. Yoshioka, M. Moritsugu, T. Ogata, and T. Nonaka, Photo-tuning of lasing from a dye-doped cholesteric liquid crystals by photoisomerization of a sugar derivative having plural azobenzene groups, Appl. Phys. Lett. 88, 103121 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2172294
- G. Chilaya, A. Chanishvili, G. Petriashvili, R. Barberi, R. Bartolino, G. Cipparrone, A. Mazzulla, and P.V. Shibaev, Reversible tuning of lasing in cholesteric liquid crystals controlled by light-emitting diodes, Adv. Mater. 19, 565 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.200600353
- S.V. Serak, N.V. Tabiryan, G. Chilaya, A. Chanishvili, G. Petriashvili, Chiral azobenzene nematics phototunable with a green laser beam, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 488, 42 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1080/15421400802240144
- H. Kang, M. Choi, Y. Jeong, and J.W. Wu, Effective medium analysis for optical control of laser tuning in a mixture of azo-nematics and cholesteric liquid crystal, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 27, 204 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAB.27.000204
- I.P. Ilchishin, L. N. Lisetski, and T.V. Mykytiuk, Reversible phototuning of lasing frequency in dye doped cholesteric liquid crystal and ways to improve it, Opt. Mat. Express 1, 1484 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1364/OME.1.001484
- T.-H. Lin, Y. Li, C.-T. Wang, H.-C. Jau, C.-W Chen C.-C. Li, H.K. Bisoyi, T.J. Bunning, and Q. Li, Red, green and blue reflections enabled in an optically tunable self-organized 3D cubic nanostructured thin film, Adv. Mater. 25, 5050 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1002/adma.201300798
- T.V.Mykytiuk, I.P. Ilchishin,O.V.Yaroshchuk,R.M.Kravchuk, Y. Li, and Q. Li, Rapid reversible phototuning of lasing frequency in dye-doped cholesteric liquid crystal, Opt. Lett. 39, 6490 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.39.006490