0372-400Х (Edition in Ukrainian)
2071-0186 (Edition in English)
2071-0194 (in electronic form)
Abbreviated key title: Ukr. J. Phys.
Institute of Physics, Nat. Acad. of Sci. of Ukraine (46, Nauka Ave., Kyiv 03680, Ukraine; e-mail: email@example.com)
Propagation of Measurement Errors and Measured Means of a Physical Quantity for the Elementary Functions cos x and arccos x
Section: Physics Experiment Techniques
Original Author's Text: Ukrainian
Abstract: New exact rules have been obtained for the propagation of the error and the mean value for a measured physical quantity onto another one with a functional relation of the cos x or arccos x type between those quantities. The obtained formulas are shown to provide an accurate result, if being applied to a set of data obtained in a real experiment. This is a consequence of the fact that the distribution of experimental data is inherently based on the Gaussian weight scheme. An analytical form used to present the mentioned rules (“analytical propagation rules”) and the exact character of the latter allow the processing and the analysis of experimental data to be simplified and accelerated.
Key words: propagation of error, propagation of uncertainty.
1. D.J. Hudson, Statistics. Lectures on Elementary Statistics and Probability (CERN, Geneva, 1964).
2. I.S. Gradshtein, and I.M. Ryzhik, Tables of Integrals, Series, and Products (Academic Press, New York, 1980).
3. Propagation of uncertainty (Wikipedia); WIKI.
4. H.H. Ku, J. Res. Nat. Bur. Stand. 70C, 263 (1966).
5. Ph.R. Bevington and D.K Robinson, Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences (McGraw-Hill, Boston, 2002).
6. J.R. Taylor, An Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements (Univ. Sci. Books, Sausalito, CA, 1997).
7. B.N. Taylor and C.E. Kuyatt, Guidelines for Evaluating and Expressing the Uncertainty of NIST Measurement Results, NIST Technical Note 1297 (1994).
8. P.K. Sinervo, in Proceedings of the PHYSTAT2003 Conference, SLAC, Stanford, CA (2003), p. 122.
9. J. Denker, Nonlinear Least Squares, www.av8n.com/physics/nonlinear-least-squares.
10. E.W. Weisstein, Standard Deviation entry at Mathworld, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StandardDeviation.
11. Evaluation of measurement data – An introduction to the “Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement” and related documents, www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_104_2009_E.
12. D.M. Kheiker et al., in Equipment and Methods of Xray Analysis, Vol. 3 (Mashinostroenie, Leningrad, 1968), p. 130 (in Russian).
13. E.L. Lube, in Equipment and Methods of X-ray Analysis, Vol. 3 (Mashinostroenie, Leningrad, 1968), p. 145 (in Russian).