0372-400Х (Edition in Ukrainian)
2071-0186 (Edition in English)
2071-0194 (in electronic form)
Abbreviated key title: Ukr. J. Phys.
Bzovska I.S., Mryglod I.M.
Institute for Condensed Matter Physics, Nat. Acad. of Sci. of Ukraine
(1, Svientsitskoho Str., Lviv 79011, Ukraine; e-mail: email@example.com)
Surface Patterns at Catalytic Oxidation of Carbon Monoxide
Section: Solid Matter
Original Author's Text: Ukrainian
Abstract: The mechanism of spatio-temporal pattern formation at the catalytic oxidation of carbon monoxide on the Pt(110) surface has been studied. The surface may contain structurally different areas, which are formed in the course of the CO-induced transition from the reconstructed 1×2 phase to the 1×1 (bulk) one. Temporal and spatial instabilities in the system are analyzed, by using the methods of the linear theory of stability and numerical simulations. Fragments of spatio-temporal structures of the oxygen coverage together with fragments of the surface 1 × 1 structure are shown to emerge on the inhomogeneous surface at certain system parameters. The distribution of the carbon monoxide coverage is found to be almost homogeneous in space and independent of the surface geometry.
Key words: catalytic oxidation reaction, reaction-diffusion model, spatio-temporal patterns, Hopf bifurcation.
1. M. Bar, S. Nettesheim, H.H. Rotermund, M. Eiswirth, and G. Ertl, Phys. Rev. Lett. 74, 1246 (1995). CrossRef PubMed
2. K.C. Rose, D. Battogtokh, A. Mikhailov, R. Imbihl, W. Engel, and A.M. Bradshaw, Phys. Rev. Lett. 76, 3582 (1996). CrossRef PubMed
3. A. von Oertzen, H.H. Rotermund, A.S. Mikhailov, and G. Ertl, J. Phys. Chem. B 104, 3155 (2000). CrossRef
4. V.V. Gorodetskii and W. Drachsel, Appl. Cat. A 188, 267 (1999). CrossRef
5. A.M. Zhabotinsky and A.N. Zaikin, Nature 255, 535 (1970).
6. V.K. Vanag, Physics-Uspekhi (Advances in Physical Sciences) 174, 991 (2004) (in Russian).
7. N. Pavlenko, Phys. Rev. E 77, 026203 (2008). CrossRef PubMed
8. R.B. Hoyle, A.T. Anghel, M.R.E. Proctor, and D.A. King, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 226102 (2007). CrossRef PubMed
9. J. Verdasca, P. Borckmans, and G. Dewel, Phys. Rev. E 64, 055202 (2001). CrossRef PubMed
10. H. Levine and X. Zou, Phys. Rev. E 48, 50 (1992). CrossRef
11. O.I. Gichan, L.B. Lerman, L.G. Grechko, and Yu.P. Sklyarov, Bulletin of Kiev university. Series: Physics & Mathematics 1, 311 (2005) (in Ukrainian).
12. I.S. Bzovska and I.M. Mryglod, Condens. Matter Phys. 13, 34801 (2010). CrossRef
13. M. Bertram and A.S. Mikhailov, Phys. Rev. E 67, 036207 (2003). CrossRef PubMed
14. O.I. Gichan and L.G. Grechko, Bulletin of University of Kyiv. Series: Physics & Mathematics 4, 311 (2007) (in Ukrainian).
15. W. Ebeling, Patterns Formation in Irreversible Processes (Moscow–Izhevsk, 2004) (in Russian).
16. A.I. Olemskoi and I.A. Shuda, Statistical Theory of SelfOrganized Complex Systems (Sumy Univ. Publ. House, Sumy, 2010) (in Russian).
17. I.S. Bzovska and I.M. Mryglod, Preprint ICMP-12-14U (Institute for Condensed Matter Physics, Lviv, 2012) (in Ukrainian).